Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Vanilla and passionfruit friands


A few weeks ago passionfruits were ridiculously cheap... so I purchased 20 and made passionfruit and chocolate tartlets. I had a lot of pulp left over from this recipe as all I needed was the juice from the fruit. I didn't want to waste it so I froze the pulp to use for another day and another recipe.

I love to cook. I find it relaxes me and takes my mind off anything that's troubling me. Sometimes I cook for pleasure and other times I cook to show the people I care about that I love them. These little babies were born as a "sorry for being such a prat" treat.

Note: The passionfruit and cocoa measures are estimates only as I didn't measure how much I was using at the time.

Vanilla and chocolate passionfruit friands


(Recipe by Stef @ Essential ingredients)

Makes 6

3 egg whites
1/4 c GF flour (I use white wings)
55 gr almond meal
3/4 c icing sugar
92 gr butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
pulp of 6 passionfruits

(To make chocolate passionfruit friands, add 2 tbsp of cocoa with the other dry ingredients)

Step 1: Making the friand base recipe
Preheat an oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees if using a fan forced oven) and grease six holes of a friand tray.
Melt the butter and set aside to cool. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Sift the almond meal, flour and icing sugar into the egg white mixture. Stir to combine. Add vanilla and pour in the cooled butter, stir to combine.

Step 2: Preparing the passionfruit
Put the passionfruit pulp in a small food processor and blitz until pureed. Pass the pureed pulp through a sieve, reserving the juice.

Add the juice to the friand batter and stir to combine.

Step 3: Cooking
3/4 fill the greased friand holes with batter. Cook for 25 minutes, turning the tray half way through cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    Are you supposed to cook the friands until they a skewer comes out clean or are you just supposed to do 25 minutes without testing?

    Also, in terms of the egg whites, what stage are you supposed to beat them to? Foamy? Or more?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete